It can be tough to find refreshing drinks without a million (potentially irritating) ingredients. But there is good news — smoothies can be pretty easily adapted to most diets! Mix and match the following for a delicious, nutritious, refreshing beverage:
Liquid (pick one)
- Plant-based milk (almond, coconut, rice, oat, soy, etc.)
- Juice (fresh-squeezed, or 100% fruit juice)
Fruits (ideally frozen)
- Melon (honeydew is great in smoothies!)
- Bananas (under-ripe are easier on the gut and sugar level, but any banana will make it taste so much better!)
- Basil, mint, or other herbs
- Maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, etc.
All of the ingredients listed above have a variety of health benefits! Smoothies contain myriad vitamins, minerals, and can have a good mix of carbs/fat/protein (although heavier on the carbs/sugar). Herbs, blueberries, and apple skins also have anti-histamine properties. The following additions, however, can take your smoothie’s nutrition to the next level!
- Chia seeds, flax seeds, pea protein, oats, or PB all add protein and make it more filling!
- Yogurt — make sure it’s actually healthy yogurt, but it will enhance the taste, texture, and add more calcium and protein! Greek yogurt is the best, nutritionally.
- Greens — kale and spinach are especially healthy and taste great in smoothies!
- Cucumber — adds vitamins, and great refreshing flavor!
- (Any other veggies you want to experiment with!)